I was really surprised to hear back from my tutor so soon and I was really pleased with my feedback. I feel that this assignment has been one of my better ones.
There were a few slight changes and suggestions that my tutor had for me such as
- a few of the images were underexposed
- the image from the gallery with the man in the foreground and the child in the background needed to be cropped so the table in the bottom left hand corner was removed (I tired to crop it out entirely and lifting the child up so it was positioned higher in the image however the lifting proved quite difficult so I just cropped the image slightly so less of the table was visable. I will continue to practise the lifting technique in the future)
- dodging the faces in image of the seating area/shop in the bus station images and making the chairs a little less shiny.
- it was mentioned that some of the images from the leisure centre were a little boring without people in, however this is something I had no control over as the leisure centre did not allow me to take any photos with people in them.
I was really pleased to hear that my tutor liked my photo montages as they gave an overview of the entire space. He also liked that I had chosen complementary images for each place as they helped to give a sense of place and its use without taking the same photos.
The other points my tutor raised were
- I need to comment more about photographers, their work and what I learn from them
- to look at Paul Graham’s work on unemployment in Britain in the 1980’s